Stretch marks are completely normal and entirely inevitable. However, if you want to get rid of them, here are some home remedies to help.
Whether it’s pregnancy, rapid weight fluctuation, or weight training, stretch marks are inevitable. They can be visible on your waist, arms, thighs, stomach, breasts and hips. While embracing them as part of your body is a good thing, it’s equally alright if you wish to get rid of them. Here are a few home remedies that can help you get rid of stretch marks.
[Featured Image Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Unsplash; Hero Image Credit: Alesia Kozik/Unsplash]
10 Effective Stretch Marks Home Remedies
Aloe vera is one of the most diverse ingredients. This plant contains anti-inflammatory properties along with enzymes, nutrients and vitamins. It is apt for healing burns, rashes, irritation and scars like stretch marks. As a result, aloe vera is used in a lot of medicinal creams and ointments. Therefore, it is one of the go-to home remedies to cure stretch marks
- Remove the outer layer of the aloe vera plant and scoop out the gel.
- Mix 2 tbsp of coconut oil with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel.
- Apply it to the affected area and let it be for 20-40 minutes.
- Rinse it with water.
- Repeat the process daily for faster results.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is another magical ingredient that possesses anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This is known for reducing acne and stubborn scars on your skin. Apart from that, tea tree oil also contains antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial elements, which can reduce inflammation and cure skin allergies.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with half a tsp of olive oil.
- Gently massage the oil gently all over your stretch marks.
- If you wish you can even mix some coconut oil or vitamin E oil into the mixture.
- Apply it and keep it overnight before washing your face with water the next day.
Potatoes are way more useful than just adding extra flavour to your recipes. This vegetable work wonders in curing scars, dark circles, unneeded marks, and blemishes on your skin. Potatoes are loaded with starch and other elements, including a bleaching agent called catecholase, which helps in skin lightening.
- Grate a potato and squeeze out some juice.
- Mix both the things and apply them to the affected area.
- Let it stay for half an hour before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Repeat the process regularly for faster results.
A natural exfoliant, baking soda helps in removing dead skin cells and leaving the textures smooth and spotless. It becomes even more powerful after adding lemon juice. The mixture can work wonders for stretch marks as the latter possesses bleaching properties that lighten the skin.
- Take one tbsp of baking soda, fresh juice of half a lemon and kitchen roll.
- Mix the ingredients together and apply them to the affected area.
- Cover it with the kitchen roll and let it stay f0r 20 minutes.
- Once you’re done, wash it with water
Note: Try it on your hand first if you have sensitive skin. If itching continues, discontinue use.
Sugar is another natural exfoliant that can cure stretch marks. It can be mixed with essential oils to remove the scars and other stubborn spots from your skin. This magical ingredient is simply available in every household and can be used as an exfoliator that stimulates the blood flow in the affected area. The whole process speeds up the healing tendency of your skin.
- Mix 1 tbsp of sugar with a few drops of essential oil. You can even use vitamin E oil.
- Stir it into a paste and scrub your skin gently on the affected area.
- After scrubbing for a few minutes rinse it with water.
Apricots contain multiple benefits, and so they are used in a lot of grooming products like shampoos, moisturisers, conditioners, oils, and creams. The healing properties of this fruit are valid. The seeds of apricot are used for exfoliating dead skin and removing scars. Therefore, in order to get rid of your stretch marks, here’s what you should do.
- Remove the seeds of 2-3 apricots and grind them into a paste.
- Now apply it directly to the affected area.
- Leave it as it is for as many as 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process regularly for best results.
Egg white is extremely good for the skin. When applied to the affected area, egg whites work miracles on your stretch marks and will also help in skin tightening. Loaded with amino acids and proteins, this ingredient can properly heal your skin.
- Take two egg whites.
- Apply them to the affected area.
- Let the mixture dry on your skin and then rinse it off with water.
- Now apply moisturiser or olive oil to avoid dryness.
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturiser and has been used as a body, hair and cooking oil since ages. It keeps the skin moisturised and hydrated and is believed to prevent and reduce stretch marks.
- Take a few drops of virgin coconut oil.
- Apply the oil to the affected area.
- Leave the oil overnight or a few hours.
Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid that helps in smoothening the skin. This may reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of castor oil.
- Massage it onto the affected area.
- Leave overnight and wash it off the next morning.
Rosehip seed oil
Rosehip seed oil is known for reducing oxidative stress and protecting the skin barrier. These properties of the ingredient makes it an excellent natural remedy for reducing stretch marks.
- Massage a few drops of rosehip seed oil into the affected area once a day.
- Leave the oil overnight.
The article first appeared on Lifestyle Asia India.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
Question: How to get rid of stretch marks?
Answer: Stretch marks can be minimised through usage of hyaluronic acid based creams, retinoid therapy etc. Home remedies such as aloe vera gel, sugar scrub, etc. are also an effective in reducing stretch marks.
Question: Which natural remedy can I use to get rid of stretch marks?
Answer: Natural remedies such as aloe vera gel, sugar scrub with vitamin E, egg white, potato juice, and others are useful in getting rid of stretch marks.
Question: Is aloe vera good for stretch marks?
Answer: Aloe vera is laden with anti-inflammatory properties along with enzymes, nutrients and vitamins. As such, it is an excellent home remedy to cure stretch marks.
Question: Do home remedies work for stretch marks?
Answer: Home remedies contain anti-inflammatory properties, essential nutrients, vitamins, and enzymes. Some of them also contain bleaching properties, while others provide intense hydration. Hence, they are excellent to get rid of stretch marks.